Pimp My Pancake
Saucepans at the ready — Shrove Tuesday beckons, time for one last hurrah before we behave ourselves during lent (*cough* except for my birthday, and my husband’s… not forgetting the dog). Pimp your pancakes with these naughty twists on the fillings we know and love.
1/ Lime with chilli-infused warm maple syrup and dark chocolate shavings
(To replace… lemon and sugar)
- Infuse dried chilli flakes in maple syrup over a very low heat (taking care not to burn the syrup).
- Drizzle over the pancake, then squeeze the lime juice and then grate shavings of dark chocolate.
2/ Chanterelles sautéed with vodka and dill
(To replace… creamy mushroom)
- Gently sauté the chanterelles in butter.
- Add a good slurp of vodka, the mushrooms’ deepest flavours are alcohol soluble, in case you needed an excuse!
- Reduce the mushroom and vodka mixture and pour in the centre of your pancake. Sprinkle on fresh dill and fold.
3/ Rum and warm dark chocolate spread with banana and cinnamon sugar
(To replace… banana and Nutella)
- Buy the very best quality dark chocolate sandwich spread and rum that you can find.
- Gently warm the spread, taking care not to let it burn.
- Add a good splash of rum.
- Arrange chopped bananas on the pancake, pour over the warm rum and chocolate mixture and grate over cinnamon.
4/ Jamón Serrano with Manchego and smoked paprika
(To replace… ham and cheese)
- Cut thin slices of Serrano.
- Grate over the Manchego cheese and pop under the grill.
- Sprinkle over vibrant, red smoked paprika.